Sunday, January 11, 2015

Winter's Unsung Heroes

So previously, I DID SAY I wanted to go back to the harbour front for the perfect sunset. Guess what happened? I did not get to have my perfect sunset.

However, I had the pleasure of witnessing three extraordinary men performing the highly unusual, most astonishing feat of swimming in frozen Lake Ontario. Yep, you read me right.

At depressing -19degC cold weather with the wind velocity of 45kph, i ran from the Boardwalk at York Quay to the waterfront trail to get a closer look at these people who, I thought, were seriously out of their minds! These men certainly knew how to catch my attention! And how!

Do you see them?


Well it turned out, they were members of the Toronto Police Marine Unit, training for possible river rescues during the Winter season. They were the nicest officers i have ever met and I am so glad they allowed me to take pictures of them! I have always admired law enforcement agents but after this wonderful meeting, i would have to say that my respect for these honorable men has been elevated several notches more. Let us not forget to remember the sacrifices and the lives that these men and women have laid at stake to keep our communities safe. To the Toronto Police Marine Unit, i thank you from the bottom of my heart.

How about you? Do you think you can handle this job?













No comments: